We’ve all experienced outages with our technology. Whether it is the hardware, software, network, or the power grid, any number of things can cause issues that substantially impact business. This is why your company needs a network outage checklist handy when the system goes down.
Every business owner is concerned about downtime. Just a few prominent examples show you why:
- In March 2015, a 12-hour Apple store outage cost the company $25 million.
- In August 2016, a five-hour power outage in an operation center caused 2,000 canceled flights and an estimated loss of $150 million for Delta Airlines.
- In March 2019, a 14-hour outage cost Facebook an estimated $90 million.
- A one-hour outage cost Amazon an estimated $34 million in sales in 2021.
- A 20-minute crash during 2021's Singles' Day sales cost Alibaba billions.
- Facebook's 2021 outage cost Meta nearly $100 million in revenue.
By now, everyone has heard about the Ticketmaster fiasco with Taylor Swift concert ticket sales. On November 14, Ticketmaster opened a Verified Fan presale registration, allowing registered Taylor Swift fans to buy tickets before general sales opened. Approximately 1.5 million fans were pre-selected at random, leaving out about 2 million others who had already registered.