As a company that manages and provides Internet networking services for companies and businesses, MHO is always looking at data usage trends. These 2021 Internet usage trends can help spark your own research and understanding of how and what you may need as a company.
On a business level, data usage is massively important to understanding your networking needs. Companies continue investing more and more on understanding the ways and needs of employees and technology. Knowing your data usage can help you prepare for new employee hires, changes to software and programs, future IoT purchase decisions, and much more.
From a macro level, data usage trends can give you insight into the direction that societies and industries are moving. This allows you to combine your own needs with what is happening on a larger level.
General Internet Usage Statistics
Before we narrow down into specific categories of the major industries that we serve, let’s take a broad look at some 2021 Internet data usage trends and numbers.
- There are approximately 4.93 billion active Internet users worldwide. This equates to 63.2% of the estimated world population.
- From 2000 to 2020, Internet usage is up 1,266%.
- In 2021, it is estimated that 306 billion emails are sent every day.
- From the above email stats, the average person who has access to use the Internet frequently will get 62 emails per day.
- Mobile Internet usage went down as a percentage of the total usage for the first time from 2019 to 2020. It sank from 53.3% in 2019 to 50.3% in 2020.
- It is estimated that in the current year (2021), there are 1.83 billion active websites.
- A solid 95% of Americans shop online at least once a year.
2021 Internet Data Usage Trends in Some Data-Centric Industries
The following industries rely heavily on the rapid, secure transfer of data between clients and/or business locations for efficient operations.
Medical Technology & Healthcare
Although healthcare and medical technology were already on the leading edge when it comes to adopting and using technology, including the Internet, COVID-19 forced considerable changes and improvements that have moved Internet data usage forward by huge leaps.
- The Global Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) market is expected to hit $158 billion in 2022.
- Electronic Health Records (EHRs) have almost reached full adoption across the entire healthcare spectrum.
- Healthcare IT spending worldwide is expected to reach about 4.2 trillion U.S. dollars in 2021, an 8.6 percent increase in growth compared to 2020.
- Healthcare companies were expected to spend 11.4 billion on cloud computing in 2019. A new number cannot be confirmed; but it is safe to say that this has increased substantially as a result of remote work and COVID restrictions.
- There were 2.27 billion e-prescriptions issued in the US in 2020.
There are some serious factors to consider throughout the construction industry regarding 2021 Internet data usage trends. Can technology help overcome some of the more traditional problems that plague construction projects?
- The construction management software market in the application software industry is poised to grow by $630.51 million during 2021-2025, progressing at a CAGR of almost 8% during the forecast period.
- Global construction management software market is estimated to be $2.6 billion by the end of 2028.
- 54% of contractors view collecting accurate data from the field as a priority.
- Only 25% of construction projects finish on time. Many industry leaders believe that this will improve with further adaptation of technology.
The finance industry has truly been revolutionized by the Internet, making operations much faster, more secure, more efficient, and more convenient for customers.
- The amount of data generated each second in the financial industry will grow 700% in 2021.
- The global fintech market was worth $127.66 billion in 2018, with a predicted annual growth rate of ~25% until 2022, to $309.98 billion.
- One of the biggest fintech products is digital payment, which holds 25% of the fintech market.
- E-commerce is one of the biggest growth drivers of fintech, with a CAGR of 10–12% thanks to consumer behavior.
- This year, 90% of users will make a mobile payment with their smartphone.
- By the year 2022, mobile transactions are projected to grow by 121%. This will eventually comprise 88% of all banking transactions.
- By the year 2022, almost 78% of the United States millennial population will become digital banking users.
These 2021 Internet data usage trends may reveal several things, but one is absolutely certain: numerous industries that depend on the fast, secure transmission of information to sustain operations need reliable Internet access and networking solutions. MHO Fixed-Wireless Internet can provide lightning-fast speeds with no data caps and quick scalability when needed. We guarantee fast installations and SLA-level service agreements that are among the best in the industry.
Contact MHO today for more information and to investigate availability in your area.